Friends of Great Chesterford Intro
THE FRIENDS OF GREAT CHESTERFORD PRIMARY ACADEMY
WHAT DO WE DO?
The Friends is a group of parents who are committed to supporting the school, with a particular focus on fundraising. It is separate from the staff or governing bodies.
On average, over the last five years, Friends’ initiatives have raised £10,000pa for the school.
The Friends raises funds to support the school for facilities which come outside the normal range of funding.
The committee also helps to foster our school’s unique sense of community through the organisation of all manner of social events; such as Christmas shopping evenings, cake sales, second-hand uniform sales, film screenings and school discos which we all – children, parents and staff – can enjoy.
We also support community initiatives such as the annual Great Get Together and the 2018 There But Not There remembrance event.
|Name||Role||Child in Year/s|
|Alison Diggins||Chair||4 & Reception|
|Anna Allen||3 & 2|
|Louisa Harvey||2 & Reception|
|Penny McCullough||2 & 1|
|Emily Vandrau||2 & Reception|
|Julie Williams||5 & 3|
HOW DO WE RAISE FUNDS?
We organise social and fund-raising initiatives such as:
For parents and other adults:
- Christmas shopping and pampering evening
- Second-hand uniform sales
- Refreshments sales at school events
- Easyfundraising.com – an easy way to donate as you shop, without it costing you a thing – click on the link below to join and support the school every time you shop at one of hundreds of online retailers: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/greatchesterfordprimacad/
- The Christmas Disco
- The Easter Bunny Hunt
- Termly film night
- Weekly cake (or ice lolly) sales
- Cauliflower Cards Christmas cards
WHAT DO WE SPEND FUNDS ON?
We’re working with the Governors and Headteacher to finalise the Friends’ spending priorities for potential larger projects, such as new flooring around the tyres in the KS2 playground and improvements to the new library.
Recent purchases include:
- Super new play equipment for the KS1 playground
- Replacement equipment for the KS2 play equipment
- Scooter pods.
Other spending includes:
- Subsidies for school trips.
- Year 6 leaving presents, plus donations to help fund the Year 6 Leaving Party.
WANT TO JOIN?!
The Friends usually meets twice a term. We plan events and decide on spending priorities. We have direct input from the Headteacher and a teacher representative, as well as input from the rest of the staff, the children themselves, and parents.
If you would like to come along to a committee meeting, help at an upcoming event, or suggest ways to raise funds, it would be great to hear from you! You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The committee is sociable, fun and a great way to become involved with school life without committing large swathes of time. It is a valuable experience which allows you to feel more part of the school community and share something special with your child.
Do email us,or come and say hi in the playground.